Monday, December 22, 2014

The Longest Night of the Year

It’s almost here. The longest night EVER! Nope it’s not December 21st, the winter solstice, as all the papers and scientists would have you believe. I’m talking about the night of December 24th , you know, Christmas Eve. And here’s the reason this will be the longest night…

  1. My children have decided that bedtime is for sissies.  No naps, no early bedtimes. I can’t even con them into a ride in the car to look at Christmas lights and perhaps, being strapped down in a safety seat, they will fall asleep.
  2. We have 2 bikes to put together and the hours until Christmas Eve are dwindling. I work tomorrow and then it’s basically Christmas Eve, which means we will be up late (see #1 above) and have to be up later because we did not choose the free assembly option! We are so smart!
  3. My children are EXCITED about Christmas. 2 weeks ago, Isaiah started crying when I told him Christmas was 14 days away. He said it was, “too far away, Mommy! And Santa will never get here!” Bennett just feeds off of Isaiah’s excitement so we truly have it coming.
  4. This is where I get my paybacks I’m sure. I was the child up at 4 am, stomach feeling like a bunch of jumping beans, doing everything I could to stay in bed one more minute without bursting. I have no doubt my children will also be up early this holiday. So given that we will probably crash around 2 am, the two hour nap will be just what I need to start my day! ( BTW sorry mom and dad for being up at 4 am every Christmas)
  5. We are leaving on a 12 hour car trip Christmas afternoon. I’m very excited about spending the holidays back in Michigan with my family. I’m not very excited about driving the distance that will get us there. If you read “The LONG Road Home” back in September, you will understand my hesitation to get back in my car. On a side note, Brad is on this trip, so at least I will not feel like the sole responsible adult for our littles.


I realize this whole list sounds like complaining, or in all honesty, it is complaining. The truth is, the holidays are my favorite time of year, and this year Advent has been such an emotional time for me. Maybe it’s because I feel like I’m waiting for a lot of things that are yet to come. I’ve never been a patient person.  And the holidays are great, I’ve loved traveling to see old friends, sharing memories with my kids, baking, eating, and planning. But it sure is exhausting! I love that my kids have gotten to give to others and see that Christmas isn’t all about them. I’m so proud that they were all into the Christmas performance at church (even if Bennett took out a poinsettia or two). I’m ready to be in my parent’s new home and to just be there. No work, no on-call nights, and lots of aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends to just be with. So even though the longest night is coming, I’m hoping my longest night (and Brad’s too) will be followed by a couple long nights of rest, rejuvenation, and maybe a good glass of wine!

Merry Christmas Everyone! May you know that a child was born for you! A son was given for you, because God loves you so much and even if your holiday feels like the longest night of your life, know that God came here to be the dawn in the darkness! Many blessings~Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment